Tax Treatment For Trading Options (Recording)
Mar 07, 2017 at 4:30 pm EST
Join trader tax expert Robert A. Green, CPA as he explains:
- How options traders may qualify for trader tax status benefits, and the challenges they face from the IRS.
- Tax treatment for options is diverse, including simple and complex trades on securities vs. Section 1256 contracts.
- Outright option trades: trade option (closing transaction), the option expires (lapses), and exercise the option.
- Complex option trades: straddle loss deferral rules.
- Brokers don’t report wash sale losses between different option exercise dates, but taxpayers should.
- A timely Section 475 election exempts options traders from wash sale losses, straddle loss deferral rules, and capital loss limitations.
Reminders and instructions are clear and helpful. Diligent and fantastic work.
rxxx Fund LP