How To Report Forex Trades On 2016 Tax Returns & 2017 Planning

16 Mar

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:00 pm EST

Forex traders may have the best of both worlds: Ordinary loss treatment skirting the capital loss limitation, or lower 60/40 capital gains tax rates in Section 1256(g). Unfortunately, you have to choose in advance with an election.

Join forex tax expert Robert A. Green CPA as he explains:

- Off-exchange forex vs. on-exchange regulated futures contracts;
- Forex Section 988 ordinary gain or loss treatment;
- How to report Section 988 forex trades on 2016 tax returns;
- How to make a capital gains election to opt-out of Section 988;
- A case for using Section 1256(g) lower 60/40 capital gains tax rates on the main currencies and why it’s uncertain with the IRS;
- How to report forex using Section 1256(g);
- Rollover trades, interest and open P&L;
- Broker tax reporting, tax forms, and summary reporting;
- IRS and state tax notices questioning forex tax treatment;
- CFTC and NFA rules for forex.



I have been a customer of theirs for many years and they have always done a very good professional job. They also have very good customer service. They are at the very top of their field, a must have, if you need professional tax preparation. I highly recommend them! 5 stars.